Monday 25 June 2007

Waiting Game

The embryo transfer went as well as could be expected Saturday morning, 2 almost blastocysts were implanted. A full bladder is needed to help push the uterus forward so it can be better seen on the ultrasound, so you are told to drink 2 glasses of water 1 hour before the procedure. I can NEVER get this right, I always end up jiggling on the spot and terrified that I am going to embarrass myself [literally] in front of the doctor. One time I had to empty out and start again about 20 minutes before, this time I was next up but was so bursting that I had to empty a little just so that I could walk into theatre. I had heard of others having to do this but never thought it possible but there you go - it is. I must keep up those pelvic floor exercises!

After hospital we headed for the hills on our romantic weekend away. Which actually turned out to be an anti-romance weekend. It started with the notes the hospital gave us - no sex for 24 hours - no spa baths for at least a week. Naturally, sex was meant to be high on the agenda for a romantic night away, and of course our accommodation had a fantastic big spa bath and gorgeous log fire. The fact that DH kept calling our cute little self-contained cottage a 'flat' and asked me in the hospital waiting room if I was itchy because the [hormone-induced] acne on my pale and sickly face made me look like I had chicken pox just added to the anti-romantic feeling. The reason my face was/is pale and sickly is due to the cold I caught last week - the sneezing, runny nose, coughing my lungs up kind of cold. Nice.

Hence, these 2 embryos have been labeled 'clingons', in that hope that despite the violence of my cold they will grip their tiny cells into the sides of my warm and inviting womb and CLING ON for dear life. Well at least until February next year.

After being so good by not giving into stress-relieving, cold-curing sex or spa baths, we went wine-tasting on the way home on Sunday. St Huberts, Chandon, Yering Station and de Bertoli, wow isn't there some money in the Yarra Valley wine industry! The clingons enjoyed Chandon 2003 Vintage Brut and Yering Station 2006 Shiraz Viognier the best.

Pregnancy test on the 4th of July. I am hoping and praying that America's day of independence marks the end of mine. Sing with me now... O, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! The two week wait is so, so hard. As Tertia wrote years ago, our toenails should turn blue the second an embryo implants successfully... Good to see you are supporting Victoria's 'struggling' vineyards!